PowerPoint Creative

View previous topicGo downView next topic
TimsSlideshowGames
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator
https://slideshowgames.blogspot.com/

Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint by Tim's Slideshow Games

on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:37 pm
And now it's time to present my most popular project.

Released: January 1, 2012
Updated: Stable: September 16, 2017 (version 3.2), Beta: November 29, 2017 (version 4.0 beta 2)

Now you and your friends/family can play an authentic Wheel of Fortune game in your own home, thanks to this PowerPoint! Type your own puzzles, keep track of score, and of course, spin the wheel, all within the presentation!

• Supports multiple rounds from the game show, including the Mystery and Express round
  • Animate the stage, and toggle the backdrop of your choice
  • Easily keep score with Quick Add and dedicated buy vowel/transfer totals buttons
  • Open source VBA so you know this is safe to use

Compatible with PowerPoint 2007 or newer on Windows.  When prompted, you'll need to enable active content and editing of this presentation, which is what allows you to edit the puzzle board and other gameplay elements.

The wheel graphics were created by wheelgenius, used with permission.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Project Page on my Website

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Stable vs Beta: Which should you use?

Download the stable version if:

• you want to use a version that is known to work
  • you want to use the video guide

Download the beta version if:

• you're interested in testing experimental features, including the new puzzle creation system
  • you don't mind encountering bugs (the betas aren't tested as much as the stable)
  • you use PowerPoint for Mac

Last edited by TimsSlideshowGames on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:57 am; edited 4 times in total
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.rusnakcreative.com

Re: Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint by Tim's Slideshow Games

on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:28 pm
Whoever let the dogs out, must know that the dogs are suspects of my missing cookies from the cookie jar case, and will be held responsible for that. If you have any information on whoever left those dogs out, please contact the crime stoppers. We would reward you with some cookies, if we had any left.

In other news,
I like how you have multiple theme choices, and how easy it is to switch between them all. What I think could be improved is coming up with a system where the puzzle is already set and ready to play, instead of watching the operator click on each square. If you were to continue with clicking on each square to highlight it, is there a way to click on it again to turn it back to green? It would be bad if you accidentally clicked on a square in the middle of the game and now are left with an extra square, or resetting the whole thing. You could also turn that feature off when the game starts to prevent any accidental clicks?
TimsSlideshowGames
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:07 pm
rusnakcreative wrote:Whoever let the dogs out, must know that the dogs are suspects of my missing cookies from the cookie jar case, and will be held responsible for that. If you have any information on whoever left those dogs out, please contact the crime stoppers. We would reward you with some cookies, if we had any left.

In other news,
I like how you have multiple theme choices, and how easy it is to switch between them all. What I think could be improved is coming up with a system where the puzzle is already set and ready to play, instead of watching the operator click on each square. If you were to continue with clicking on each square to highlight it, is there a way to click on it again to turn it back to green? It would be bad if you accidentally clicked on a square in the middle of the game and now are left with an extra square, or resetting the whole thing. You could also turn that feature off when the game starts to prevent any accidental clicks?

Yes, you can click the tile again to turn it back to green. That said, I have already started to replace this system with a "puzzle is already set" implementation for the next major update. My version will work differently from yours, and this is what I'll need the most feedback on when I start rolling out preview releases.
TimsSlideshowGames
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint Version 4.0 beta 1

on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:25 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Introducing Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint Version 4.0 beta 1. Brace yourself, as this release essentially redefines the way you play the game.

Welcome to Set Up Puzzles, a new method to prepare your puzzles in advance! You might be wondering, "Tim, this isn't new! Someone else already came up with this for another WoF template!" While it's true that I'm not the first to come up with this premise, I have devised a unique implementation, one that I, dare I say, believe is the most efficient of them all.

Here's how it works: when you enter Set Up Puzzles, you'll find 12 puzzle slots to input puzzles to. Click on one of the numbers to access the puzzle editor.

Here, simply type in your puzzle. The editor will automatically capitalize your letters and highlight the board tiles. You can also clear individual rows using the erasers on the right, or delete the entire puzzle using the trash can. Is that easy enough?

Once you have enough puzzles prepared, you're ready to go to the puzzle board.

Hmm...this is certainly different. The Calculator tab is gone (which I've hinted with the previous release), but the Letters Used box. What happened to that? Hold your horses, let's load one of the puzzles with the new Load Puzzle tab so you can see for your yourself.

As you can see, the puzzle loaded exactly the way I set it, just without the letters. Your contestants will fill in these missing letters using the new top left letter selector that just appeared.

It's Oswald's turn, and he guesses the letter D. Unlike before, you as the host no longer have to recall where the D's are in the puzzle. Just click on the letter D on the letter selector.

Ding! Just like the actual game show, the puzzle board tiles for the letter D have been highlighted in blue. Click the blue tiles, and the letter D will appear in each of them. Also notice how the letter D has been removed from the letter selector. There's no need for a convoluted Letters Used box anymore because now everyone can see all the available letters instead!

To wrap up the round, click the Solve tab to reveal the solution. The Load Puzzle tab will then reappear for you to load the next puzzle.

There are also several other changes with this release I haven't discussed here. For instance, what does that gear button do at Set Up Puzzles? You'll have to download the beta to find out!

So what do YOU think of Set Up Puzzles? Do you prefer over the old puzzle preparation method? What can use some refining? That's why I decided to release this version first as a beta: to perfect this system as much as possible before the official release.

rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator

on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:56 pm
I think this screenshot says it all:

Wow Tim, you've really outdone yourself! I love the new inventive way to create puzzles while in the slideshow. I even threw in a couple symbols and numbers, and it handled it very well. Very easy to modify and run. I will definitely have to take a couple notes from your set up and give my wheel an upgrade Very Happy
thanhvo123
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:22 am
I think the game is good but you can add music into the game
TimsSlideshowGames
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:27 pm
rusnakcreative wrote:Wow Tim, you've really outdone yourself! I love the new inventive way to create puzzles while in the slideshow. I even threw in a couple symbols and numbers, and it handled it very well. Very easy to modify and run. I will definitely have to take a couple notes from your set up and give my wheel an upgrade Very Happy

Oh wow, I didn't anticipate feedback this positive from you. Glad you found the new puzzle creation method to be easy to use. And this is only the first beta; I already have some extra features in mind for beta 2 and look forward to you getting your hands on that. Very Happy

I will admit, it was tempting to password protect my VBA this time given all the massive changes, and I can now empathize with why you do that. That said, I still believe that letting everyone review my code for safety and/or learning purposes is more important than the risk of someone profiting from my work, so I'm gonna strive to keep the code open.

thanhvo123 wrote:I think the game is good but you can add music into the game

Did you try the stable version (v3.2) or the beta (v4.0 beta 1)? I'm curious as to which method of preparing puzzles is better.

As for music, I am iffy about the idea of pasting music from online since I wouldn't know if I have permission to use them. I can still consider the idea, but don't expect music in this game for now. Since the presentation is completely open to edit, you can always add in your own music if you know how to do so.
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator

on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:33 pm
TimsSlideshowGames wrote:
rusnakcreative wrote:Wow Tim, you've really outdone yourself! I love the new inventive way to create puzzles while in the slideshow. I even threw in a couple symbols and numbers, and it handled it very well. Very easy to modify and run. I will definitely have to take a couple notes from your set up and give my wheel an upgrade Very Happy

Oh wow, I didn't anticipate feedback this positive from you. Glad you found the new puzzle creation method to be easy to use. And this is only the first beta; I already have some extra features in mind for beta 2 and look forward to you getting your hands on that. Very Happy

I will admit, it was tempting to password protect my VBA this time given all the massive changes, and I can now empathize with why you do that. That said, I still believe that letting everyone review my code for safety and/or learning purposes is more important than the risk of someone profiting from my work, so I'm gonna strive to keep the code open.

I do admire your position on keeping your code open source with your reasons. I would also look into adding a Creative Commons License on there as some sort of protection with the graphic and text which states how your work is not for sale or re-sale, etc.

Looking forward to what you're working on, maybe collaborate on stuff in the future? Maybe between the both of our creative minds and programming, we could come up with great original content!
TimsSlideshowGames
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint Version 4.0 beta 1.1

on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:12 pm
@rusnakcreative: The Creative Commons license sounds like a good idea. Thanks for suggesting. I'll have to do more research on that for future releases.

As for collaboration, that could be interesting. I don't have any ideas at the moment, but whenever you do, let me know and I'll think about what I can do with that. Maybe I'll share some ideas with you too if anything pops up.

---

Beta 1.1 has been released. This is a bug fix release; no new features have been added. Here's what's fixed:

• Load Puzzle no longer clears the entire puzzle board if a puzzle isn't found.
  • If the entire puzzle is already up on the puzzle board, clicking the Solve button will no longer display a confirmation box.
  • "Wipe all puzzles/scores and end show" now wipes the Mystery indicator.
  • The puzzle editor category box is now wider so that it's more compliant with how much space you get on the actual puzzle board.
  • Fixes a center alignment issue with player names. (This issue affects ALL versions)
  • Increases the size of the player name boxes to fit longer names.
  • Works around a bug in PowerPoint 2007 that prevented the game from highlighting filled puzzles in the puzzle editor.

With Thanksgiving around the corner, I plan to test an entire Wheel of Fortune game using beta 1.1. I look forward to the game and whatever additional bugs that are found from it. Smile
TimsSlideshowGames
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint Version 4.0 beta 2

on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:45 am
Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint Version 4.0 beta 2 is now ready for testing. Here's an overview of the new features.

• Puzzle shifting - You can now shift puzzle rows left and right to get that perfect alignment.

• New settings to toggle blue tiles and solve confirmation - Gotta make use of that new Settings panel! These toggles may be of use to certain hosts.

• It is now possible to remove the wild card and mystery wedges from the wheel. Being able to remove wedges makes the wheel feel more interactive and allows us to play the Mystery round the way the actual game show intended it to be.

The realization of removing wedges opens up several interesting ideas for the wheel. For instance, maybe I can add an option to display the 1/2 car cards like in the actual game show. Or I could add a prize wedge, in which the host decides what that prize is. Who knows, let me know what you think!

• PowerPoint for Mac support - this is the big one!

I plan to maintain a Windows and a Mac version of Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint. Here are the differences in the Mac version:

- Anything that involves editing text requires input boxes. This includes the Set Up Puzzles editor, player names, etc.
    - Some fonts are different so they work on macOS
    - You can run animation triggers, but you can't edit them. In order to fully edit Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint, you'll still need PowerPoint for Windows.

Everything else should be feature identical with the Windows version for now. But since PowerPoint for Windows has more features than the Mac, there may be feature divides in the future. I'll have to figure out how to handle that if the need ever arises.

Click here for more detailed release notes on my blog.

Have fun testing out this new beta!

UPDATE (Nov. 30): I have re-released beta 2 to fix various bugs related to the wedge removal feature. If you downloaded beta 2 yesterday, updating to the new build is highly recommended.

Download Links

Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum