PowerPoint Creative

View previous topicGo downView next topic
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.rusnakcreative.com

rusnakcreative's Macro-enabled PowerPoint Gameshow Games!

on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:18 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
It was mentioned that I should share my games on the forum, so here goes. I use macros to do cool things like keeping scores, customizing names, and other neat things VBA programming can do. Ever see PowerPoint call out Bingo numbers, or generate Bingo cards, or even let you play Plinko?

Note: Some templates may not work well with the 2010 version of PowerPoint. There is a problem with how 2010 reads the timer code and could cause your PowerPoint to freeze. These were created with 2013, and have been told work well with 2016.

These games update frequently. For the most up-to-date versions, visit my site:
http://rusnakcreative.com

Screenshots & Downloads:

Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?

Bingo!

Bird Brain Baseball

Deal or No Deal

Family Feud

Jeopardy!

Plinko!

Press Your Luck

$100,000 Pyramid

Weakest Link

Wheel Of Fortune

Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?

Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions to further improve or come up with future games. Thanks for visiting!
JadeJohnsonGames
PPT Master
PPT Master
Location : The World Of Whichever Game Engine I'm Developing At The Time
http://fbenson.webs.com

Re: rusnakcreative's Macro-enabled PowerPoint Gameshow Games!

on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:24 pm
No suggestions yet, but three words:

"Yay!  Thank you!"
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator

on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:28 pm
JadeJohnsonGames wrote:No suggestions yet, but three words:

"Yay!  Thank you!"

johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:51 am
I've always wondered where you get your amazing backgrounds from. Do you make them or get them from an image gallery - or what?
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator

on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:19 pm
I google desktop backgrounds of whichever game I'm working on and I might modify them slightly with photoshop and PowerPoint to get them to look how they do. The rest is PowerPoint with different effects and gradients.
TimsSlideshowGames
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator
https://slideshowgames.blogspot.com/

on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:29 am
I bet you know which games I decided to check out... Wink

First off, I have to say that your VBA skills are phenomenal. Even though I can't see the code you're using, I can tell you've put a lot of thought into it through some rather advanced functions. I'm slowly starting to learn more VBA, and I appreciate how you've made me scratch my head more than a couple times.

Now onto the two games I tried.

Bingo! was admittedly pretty cool, and I can see why people would prefer your project. Design wise, it looks energetic. You've added the ability to randomly draw Bingo balls, which I didn't figure out how to code until this past month with Bingo Master Board PLUS. Then there's the other features. Isolating certain Bingo letters and showing off the desired Bingo pattern are neat ideas, and I can see myself trying to figure out how to implement these somewhere down the line.

While there aren't any major problems about Bingo!, I can't say it's objectively better than Bingo Master Board (PLUS). From an attempt at a non-biased perspective, I think the choice boils down to design preference and whether or not you prefer features or simplicity. At this time, Bingo! has the edge for features (particularly with the Bingo card generator), while I believe Bingo Master Board (PLUS) is more simple to use. This might change later, depending on how our future versions play out.

Alright, Wheel of Fortune (rusnakcreative). There's a lot to say about this.

Let's look at Wheel of Fortune (rusnakcreative)'s feature set. The rusnakcreative version has several fundamental differences from the Tim's Slideshow Games version, some which were executed well, others which could have been implemented better. The first major difference is that the rusnakcreative version is based on setting up puzzles via multiple puzzle board slides. By setting up puzzles beforehand, it allows for the possibility of some automation. The host wouldn't have to consider the letter placement in the puzzle, which s/he would have to do currently with the Tim's Slideshow Games version. That said, it does take quite some work for the host to set up these puzzles, filling in the letters in white and changing fill colors for each tile. It's not difficult or anything, but I think there's a more efficient way to handle this process, which is currently being researched for a future version of Wheel of Fortune (Tim's Slideshow Games).

Then we have toss-up and bonus round support, which aren't in the Tim's Slideshow Games version (yet). The toss-ups work very well, and I can tell I'll have to work furiously to build my own implementation of that. I couldn't get the bonus round to work properly though. You mention that PowerPoint 2010 has an issue with the timer code, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt it's good too. I'll see if it's possible to implement a bonus round that supports PowerPoint 2007/2010 for the Tim's Slideshow Games version.

Now the wheel, I have mixed feelings about this. I'll start with the pros. I like how the rusnakcreative version tries to stand out with the strength slider and how you click on the wedge landed on to perform automatic adding to a player's score. That said, there's only one wheel used for all main puzzles, and the wheel isn't very accurate to the actual game show's. For instance, there are two full bankrupt wedges in the actual game show's wheel. This wheel only has one, which may lower the tension of spinning the wheel. Also, I couldn't find any of the "big value" wedges ($2500, $5000) that make the wheel more compelling to watch. Therefore, I can safely say that the Tim's Slideshow Games version, as of now, has the superior wheel system. While the Tim's Slideshow Games wheel may not be as sophisticated, it performs faster, supports multiple rounds based on the actual game show format, and has the Mystery indicator for the Mystery round. Plus, I've heard from users that they've wanted to use their own virtual wheels for their games. This is theoretically possible with Tim's Slideshow Games', but not so much for rusnakcreative's for the time being.

Design wise, it's gotta be a toss-up (no pun intended). Keep in mind that design is very subjective, so bear with me. Several of the vectors look amazingly polished, like the bonus round wheel, the toss-up icon, and even the puzzle board to some degree. But then there are things that can look kind of off. The stage lights (which I created by the way) may look fine with my own design motif, but they look a little out there compared to the rest of the rusnakcreative design. And maybe the floor could be raised up a bit more so that the puzzle board looks more planted. Yes, this is being nit-picky, but it's hard not to analyze this when I see my own stuff in there.

Overall, Wheel of Fortune (rusnakcreative) is a solid Wheel of Fortune PowerPoint contender, and I can feel the heat of some competition. Here's my current, attempt-to-not-be-biased, breakdown of the two versions.

- If you desire a Wheel of Fortune PowerPoint that utilizes more automation and has formal support for toss-ups and bonus rounds, use the rusnakcreative version.
- If you desire a Wheel of Fortune PowerPoint that's easier to understand how it works and features more realistic wheels, use the Tim's Slideshow Games version.

Of course, that's just right now. Future versions of the Tim's Slideshow Games version will attempt to overcome its current shortcomings, and I have no doubt the rusnakcreative version become more sophisticated over time. IT'S ON! Very Happy

I already posted my Bingo Master Board topic here, and I'll post the Wheel of Fortune topic soon so you can share your thoughts.

Last edited by TimsSlideshowGames on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator

on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:10 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
TimsSlideshowGames wrote:I bet you know which games I decided to check out... Wink

First off, I have to say that your VBA skills are phenomenal. Even though I can't see the code you're using, I can tell you've put a lot of thought into it through some rather advanced functions. I'm slowly starting to learn more VBA, and I appreciate how you've made me scratch my head more than a couple times.

Thank you Tim! I don't think my VBA skills are the best, but I do know how to google and combine codes to achieve a specific effect.   Wink

A bit of advice for you as you're expanding your skill set: (You may already know this but it goes without saying) Think of what you want the code to accomplish, such as "When I click on a letter, turn it blue, play the sound, apply score." Then, break that coding goal down into smaller, more specific, little steps, like "When I click on a letter, search through these rectangles for the letter. Then, if the letter exists, turn it blue." As I code, I also have notes as placeholders on where each little step should go. This also helps with the troubleshooting when things go crazy!

TimsSlideshowGames wrote:Next, let's look at Wheel of Fortune (rusnakcreative)'s feature set. The rusnakcreative version has several fundamental differences from the Tim's Slideshow Games version, some which were executed well, others which could have been implemented better. The first major difference is that the rusnakcreative version is based on setting up puzzles via multiple puzzle board slides. By setting up puzzles beforehand, it allows for the possibility of some automation. The host wouldn't have to consider the letter placement in the puzzle, which s/he would have to do currently with the Tim's Slideshow Games version. That said, it does take quite some work for the host to set up these puzzles, filling in the letters in white and changing fill colors for each tile. It's not difficult or anything, but I think there's a more efficient way to handle this process, which is currently being researched for a future version of Wheel of Fortune (Tim's Slideshow Games).

Eventually I do want to have a way where the puzzles would be generated automatically when you input words or a phrase into an input box. I think I may have an idea how to pull this off, but it's a stretch. For now, I'm content with how the puzzle set up procedure is. In comparison, other Wheel games are set up with hundreds of triggered letter tiles that you have to place into the puzzle board. Now, I'm willing to bet that most people aren't that familiar, nor care to use the align tools after placing their tiles, so the grid of tiles would appear very sloppy. Plus, what if your puzzle has 7 "E"s but the game only has 6 that are set up? Looks like you'll have to go with another word or phrase. With my set up by typing in the letters, and changing the color is already much simpler and isn't as limiting.

TimsSlideshowGames wrote:Then we have toss-up and bonus round support, which aren't in the Tim's Slideshow Games version (yet). The toss-ups work very well, and I can tell I'll have to work furiously to build my own implementation of that. I couldn't get the bonus round to work properly though. You mention that PowerPoint 2010 has an issue with the timer code, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt it's good too. I'll see if it's possible to implement a bonus round that supports PowerPoint 2007/2010 for the Tim's Slideshow Games version.

Fair warning: trying to get the Toss Up Round just right was a huge pain! I've seen with the other versions where they have animations where the font changes to black (or appear) at a pre-set "random" order. This works well, if you don't mind either waiting for the whole animation list to play out. With programming, I used the timer code to help have better control over the letter revealing. You can pause it, or end the timer which reveals everything. Plus, the letter reveals are really random, thanks to the random capabilities within the code.

Now, onto the timer code issue with 2010. The timer code works in 2010. What doesn't work is anything else while the timer is running, which causes a big issue when you need to have a function to quit the timer while it's running. This also causes problems if your timer or loop is stuck with no way out on itself and causes an infinite loop, yikes! If you're working with 2010, I have heard of something along the lines of taking your timer code and tucking it inside a user form. Nice thing is you don't have to open the user form at all, just need to reference the sub routine that's on the form with the Call function.

TimsSlideshowGames wrote:Now the wheel, I have mixed feelings about this. I'll start with the pros. I like how the rusnakcreative version tries to stand out with the strength slider and how you click on the wedge landed on to perform automatic adding to a player's score. That said, there's only one wheel used for all main puzzles, and the wheel isn't very accurate to the actual game show's. For instance, there are two full bankrupt wedges in the actual game show's wheel. This wheel only has one, which may lower the tension of spinning the wheel.  Also, I couldn't find any of the "big value" wedges ($2500, $5000) that make the wheel more compelling to watch. 

I'm not sure if you've played long enough, but I have the wheel set to change and reveal a couple more wedges in the later rounds. The second Bankrupt value does make an appearance too.

Here's how I have my wheel set up, so that way you can understand it's differences from yours. I wanted to have the wheel to mimic the real wheel in that each spin is random, and has different lengths of spin. Another thing I didn't like about other wheels is that the wheel ALWAYS starts on the same spot, and not where you last left it after the previous spin. With how I have my wheel set up, it will randomly generate a rotation animation, and the strength slider will add more or less to the spin as indicated on the slider. I know it doesn't appear to do much, but it does make a difference. The rotation animation is generated only ONCE per visit to the wheel slide. I also have it programmed to round off by a specific degree to prevent from landing on any lines. When it's all said and done, the code looks at how the wheel is placed now and remembers it the next time you visit so that it'll start in the same place it landed on the last spin. Very cool and often underappreciated feature! With all that said, I do see how just having the animation on the wheel would be easier to set up and use. It's all a matter of preference, and my preference is more of a realistic feeling wheel in terms of function. As for the wedges, they're based off a wheel graphic I found on google, and then I redid the wheel in PowerPoint with shapes and grouped them together.

TimsSlideshowGames wrote:Design wise, it's gotta be a toss-up (no pun intended). Keep in mind that design is very subjective, so bear with me. Several of the vectors look amazingly polished, like the bonus round wheel, the toss-up icon, and even the puzzle board to some degree. But then there are things that can look kind of off. The stage lights (which I created by the way) may look fine with my own design motif, but they look a little out there compared to the rest of the rusnakcreative design. And maybe the floor could be raised up a bit more so that the puzzle board looks more planted. Yes, this is being nit-picky, but it's hard not to analyze this when I see my own stuff in there.

Was wondering if you'd notice, lol! Yes, I started using your file as a base and I went to town adding my spin (pun intended) to it. I liked the lights so I left them in, but I suppose I could let them go or change them up now. Thanks for pointing them out! If it makes you feel any better, I did completely redo the puzzle board from scratch which was a huge pain since I had to align two sets of grid tiles over, and over, and over . . . I'm sure you can remember and relate.

TimsSlideshowGames wrote:Overall, Wheel of Fortune (rusnakcreative) is a solid Wheel of Fortune PowerPoint contender, and I can feel the heat of some competition. Here's my current, attempt-to-not-be-biased, breakdown of the two versions.

- If you desire a Wheel of Fortune PowerPoint that utilizes more automation and has formal support for toss-ups and bonus rounds, use the rusnakcreative version.
- If you desire a Wheel of Fortune PowerPoint that's easier to understand how it works and features more realistic wheels, use the Tim's Slideshow Games version.

Of course, that's just right now. Future versions of the Tim's Slideshow Games version will attempt to overcome its current shortcomings, and I have no doubt the rusnakcreative version become more sophisticated over time. IT'S ON! Very Happy

I already posted my Bingo Master Board topic here, and I'll post the Wheel of Fortune topic soon so you can share your thoughts.

Thanks for your non-biased opinions and in-depth constructive criticism. I never consider my works to be complete, as there's always something I could add or make better or more efficient. In depth commentary such as this really helps me fine tune my work, and I'll do my best to return favor with your work!

(By the way, I'm not sure if you're aware, but your reply about my Wheel game was post number 360. Thought that seemed very fitting!)
TimsSlideshowGames
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator
https://slideshowgames.blogspot.com/

on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:32 pm
rusnakcreative wrote:Eventually I do want to have a way where the puzzles would be generated automatically when you input words or a phrase into an input box. I think I may have an idea how to pull this off, but it's a stretch. For now, I'm content with how the puzzle set up procedure is. In comparison, other Wheel games are set up with hundreds of triggered letter tiles that you have to place into the puzzle board. Now, I'm willing to bet that most people aren't that familiar, nor care to use the align tools after placing their tiles, so the grid of tiles would appear very sloppy. Plus, what if your puzzle has 7 "E"s but the game only has 6 that are set up? Looks like you'll have to go with another word or phrase. With my set up by typing in the letters, and changing the color is already much simpler and isn't as limiting.

I thought about automatic puzzle board generation via input box too, and I'm probably in the same position as you there. The real challenge is figuring out how to smart-align the inputted words into the puzzle board, which can be hit or miss. Also, consider the new crossword category in the actual game show. How would we implement that kind of solution with an input box?

rusnakcreative wrote:'m not sure if you've played long enough, but I have the wheel set to change and reveal a couple more wedges in the later rounds. The second Bankrupt value does make an appearance too.

Here's how I have my wheel set up, so that way you can understand it's differences from yours. I wanted to have the wheel to mimic the real wheel in that each spin is random, and has different lengths of spin. Another thing I didn't like about other wheels is that the wheel ALWAYS starts on the same spot, and not where you last left it after the previous spin. With how I have my wheel set up, it will randomly generate a rotation animation, and the strength slider will add more or less to the spin as indicated on the slider. I know it doesn't appear to do much, but it does make a difference. The rotation animation is generated only ONCE per visit to the wheel slide. I also have it programmed to round off by a specific degree to prevent from landing on any lines. When it's all said and done, the code looks at how the wheel is placed now and remembers it the next time you visit so that it'll start in the same place it landed on the last spin. Very cool and often underappreciated feature! With all that said, I do see how just having the animation on the wheel would be easier to set up and use. It's all a matter of preference, and my preference is more of a realistic feeling wheel in terms of function. As for the wedges, they're based off a wheel graphic I found on google, and then I redid the wheel in PowerPoint with shapes and grouped them together.

Just looked back, and yeah, the wheel does change. Well done.

And yes, I am aware that when using the spin animation for the wheel will always start at the same spot. I've tried to rectify this by having the wheel image change its actual non-animated rotation angle after it stops. Problem is, I couldn't figure out how to detect the angle the wheel is at when the animation stops (it always returns 0 degrees). So for now, I figured that since the wheel is fast enough, it's difficult enough for the average user to consistently land on the same wedge.

It's still a matter of preference, but it looks like your wheel is better than I originally thought.

rusnakcreative wrote:Was wondering if you'd notice, lol! Yes, I started using your file as a base and I went to town adding my spin (pun intended) to it. I liked the lights so I left them in, but I suppose I could let them go or change them up now. Thanks for pointing them out! If it makes you feel any better, I did completely redo the puzzle board from scratch which was a huge pain since I had to align two sets of grid tiles over, and over, and over . . . I'm sure you can remember and relate.

Was your base file v2.0 of my version? If so, then it's good you remade the puzzle board, since I too redid it with the v3.0 release. And yes, alignment can be pain. Thankfully, if you're using shapes (and not activeX objects), you could temporarily group tiles you've already perfectly aligned to speed up the process.

I guess you could keep the stage lights, but I challenge you to build your own (and you'll be thankful when it's done). Besides, I upgraded the stage lights with my version. They're now trigger buttons starting with v3.2.

So there you have it, thanks for the response! I'll see when I can get to your other game templates.
JadeJohnsonGames
PPT Master
PPT Master
Location : The World Of Whichever Game Engine I'm Developing At The Time
http://fbenson.webs.com

on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:42 pm
Wow Tim, your reviewing skills are OFF the CHAIN!  I'd love it if you did an unbiased review of some of MY games——as long as you took into consideration what I said in the Welcome Wagon about how severely visually impaired I am.
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum